Thursday, June 7, 2012

SURPRISE!

I had the pleasure of turning 60 on May 16th. I think the worst part of this milestone was receiving an envelope from the Ohio Department of Aging a month before the big day. Who even knew there was such a department?! I'd like to know the average age in that department and what they do all day.  Enclosed was my official Ohio Buckeye card. I mentioned receiving the Golden Buckeye to a young man in his 20's at work. A co-worker informed me later that he thought it was a peanut butter candy with the chocolate on the inside instead of the outside! When I told him that it meant I was a card-carrying 60-year-old, he walked around stamping his feet saying, "NO WAY! NO WAY! You are NOT 60!" His previous stupidity aside, Julian is now my favorite person at Lowe's. I bought him a drink to celebrate (16.9 oz. bottled water).

Did I mention that I look incredible (for a 60-year-old)? The past few years haven't been gracious. . . weight gain, loss of my business, financial ruin, unemployment, employment . . . to name a few, but I did manage to lose 15 pounds before my big day and thanks to a generous pre-birthday gift from my big brother Gary and his wife Kalleen (Houston, TX), I had a shopping spree at Chico's earlier in the week. Gary is 61 1/2, so I think it was more of a sympathy gift than a celebration. Either way, I was grateful!  I started off my big day getting a free haircut at Salon Rapport in Loveland. I recently gave my testimony at a girls' sex-education event at Goshen High School and the haircut was generously donated by the owner. Loved Julie, the haircut and the salon. I was ready for my big night, dinner with Ashley, Brent, Cory & Brandi.

Ashley and Brent insisted on picking me up. On the way to dinner, Ashley pulled into a UDF and asked me read a card that started tears flowing and makeup running. Great! Oddly enough, she didn't even go in. I didn't realize till later that it was a stalling tactic. Then she had me close my eyes. When I opened them, I had a copy of a beautiful surprise birthday invitation and found myself at the clubhouse in her Dad's complex! SURPRISE!  A surprise party! For ME! I know everyone assumes I should have had an inkling, but I was TRULY surprised. Perhaps it was losing touch with so many friends over these past few difficult years that made it hard to believe I was worthy of a party. But worthy or not, it was wonderful!




Family and friends, old and new, were there. I was honored and deeply moved. Thank you, God, for reminding me that my life makes ripples in Your Divine Plan. Thank you, Ashley, Brent, Cory and Brandi for making it happen. Thank you, Greg, for acquiring and donating the clubhouse even though you were out of town. You certainly give new meaning to the term "Ex"! Thank you Angie, Guy and family for loving me and contributing to my special day. Thank you family and friends, ALL of you, for attending, for your gifts, and for your letters of tribute to our relationship. Reading them helps restore me to wholeness in down times. Thank you.  How blessed am I!

I am profoundly grateful to everyone, but the following video is a tribute to the ring-leader. Daughters are a special gift from God. I spent two weeks trying to write a thank you poem to her, but it just wasn't coming together. This video is my thank you to Ashley and to God for allowing me to enjoy her magic carpet ride of life. Life can be tough, but I know that when she celebrates her 60th, God will say, "This is my daughter, in whom I am well pleased." Enjoy.
 

4 comments:

  1. Such a sweet collection of photos of Ashley and Brett and you and the family!! It was such an honor so be included in the special celebration of a great lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I got to hear the music with the video this time! Definitely this is a work of love, Glenda, to Ashley and to your family--Loved the song Hope you Dance --good lyrics to remember!
    Love, B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. It indeed was filled with love. It was also rather nice walking down memory lane.
      Love you!
      Glenda

      Delete
  3. I finally watched this! Thank you so much Glenda :) you deserved a very special party for a very special woman. Love you! Brent

    ReplyDelete